Professor Ir. Dr. Hj. Mahadi Abd Murad (Prof M) obtained his Bachelor (Hons) Degree in Mechanical Engineering from University of Sheffield UK in 1996. He then worked with several reputable companies in his country, Malaysia and gained lots of experiences in civil constructions, mechanical and electrical works, power utility and to name a few. Latest is with Lincoln College University (LUC) as a full time Professor looking after Students Industrial attachment in terms of enhancing students skills & competencies and maximizing applied knowledge besides teaching his favorite subjects (i.e. Welding and Fracture Mechanics). He has been practising his professionalism as a registered Professional Engineer with the Board of Engineers, Malaysia and at the same time he is also an International Professional (IntPe) and APEC Engineer as well as one of the ASTM committee members.
In 2005, Prof M obtained his Master Degree in Artificial Intelligence and Mechanical Engineering from Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN) Malaysia. He developed an Expert System in welding engineering during his study and in year 2006, he joined Universiti Kuala Lumpur as a Lecturer. After 2 years of satisfactory service, he has been sponsored by his employer to pursue his PhD at Cranfield University under the supervision of one of the world renowned professors in Structural Integrity, Professor Feargal Brennan.
The main research of his PhD study was to develop the Structural Health Monitoring Technique in the composite based pipeline repair. He has intensively used rectangular strain gauges, Compact Rio system together with Labview and ABAQUS software in his research works. At the same time, he has used Technowrap composite material that was sponsored by Walker Technical Resources (Professor Simon Frost) based in Aberdeen Scotland in his experimental works.
During his PhD study, Prof M has become a competent or qualified applicator in Technowrap composite repair system, and he won the Strainstall Prize for the best achievement in the BSSM’s Level 1 Examinations 2009/10 in the UK. He has also presented several conference and journal papers in Structural Health Monitoring and Structural Integrity and will actively get involved publishing more papers and journals in the near future.
Prof M is also a President and Founder of Underwater Welding Engineering Centre (UWEC), Malaysian Underwater Welding Society (MUWS) and Malaysian Structural Integrity Society (MSIS). He is a Course Director of Commercial Divers Network (CDN) in Wet Welding and his centre UWEC is the only Weldcraftpro UK approved school in Malaysia and Asia.
Achievements / Awards:
1) Bank Islam /SME Best Growth SME Emerging Company – 2017
2) Star Outstanding Business Award (SOBA) – Special Mention SME Emerging Company – 2017
3) Golden Bull Award (Premier Award) – Best Growth SME Company – 2018
Prof M has more than 25 years of interesting experiences in various sectors. Examples of well known companies that he used to work with were Deleum Berhad, TNB Research Sdn Bhd, Universiti Kuala Lumpur, Cranfield University, Sirim Berhad, Tenaga Nasional Berhad, Land & General Berhad and to name a few. Below are summaries of his expertise:
- Asset integrity (Oil & Gas) – involves in assessment, monitoring, mitigation and life extension activities. For example;
- Inspection & Assessment: Hybrid Acoustic Technology System (HATs)/Photostress/Residual Stress Measurement
- Monitoring: Wireless Scanimetrics/Weir Jones
- Mitigation: MM Hybrid Repair Solutions using SealXpert products
- Life Extension: HATs, Scanimetrics and Weir Jones
- Research works (Education)
- Engineering and fabrication works (Construction)
- Design and manufacture high voltage switchgears(Power Utility)
- M&E and Civil constructions (Property Development)